Nothing says brunch like sausage, eggs, and toast. Serve that alongside a good cup of coffee and maybe some fruit and breakfast is complete. We found a way to combine all of these ingredients (minus the coffee and fruit) into one amazing and hearty breakfast bake. When this comes out of the oven, it’s met with oohs and ahhs as it passes under the noses of everyone at the table. This is a rustic yet beautiful dish to serve to family and friends, and when we’re feeding a large crowd, having a meal that is easily made and served out of one dish is a definite winner.
What stands out in this dish isn’t just the Italian sausage, which by the way adds great flavor, but it’s the chunks of bread that, having soaked up the egg mixture, adds extra heartiness to the bake. Plain white sandwich bread works really well, but when we can, we love to use challah bread; it’s so light and rich at the same time, and adds a hint of sweetness that will make everyone wonder about secret ingredients.
This is a dish that can be made the night before a big family gathering, saving us a few precious minutes on the day of in order to get ready for guests. Adding some refrigeration time will help the bread absorb the eggy mixture, and all of the flavors to ultimately melt together, so that, when baked, what comes out is a savory and warm meal that is sure to please our family and friends. Even better is that cleanup is super easy; with everything in one baking dish, we don’t have to worry about washing extra dishes at the end of the party. Sausage and egg bread pudding is a simple yet elegant way to serve up a hearty breakfast, and if there are any leftovers, they heat up well for the next day. Enjoy!
Sausage and Egg Bake
Active: 30 minutes; Inactive: 1 hour to prepare serves 6-8
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 (19 oz) package mild Italian sausages, casings removed
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 loaf Challah bread (or 1/2 loaf white sandwich bread), diced into 1-inch cubes.
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups milk or half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, garnish
- Lightly coat 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, cook Italian sausages in 1 tablespoon of butter; crumble sausage into large chunks as it cooks. Remove from pan and place into a large mixing bowl.
- In the same sauté pan, add 1 tablespoon of butter along with chopped onion; sauté until translucent, 3-5 minutes. Add to mixing bowl, along with grated cheddar cheese and bread cubes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs with milk, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes (if using). Pour eggs over sausage and bread mixture, tossing to incorporate all ingredients. Pour into baking dish and spread to distribute evenly.
- Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
- Remove cling wrap and bake at 350°F for 50-60 minutes.
- Serve immediately topped with chopped fresh parsley as garnish.
Recipe adapted from Once Upon A Chef