Soups are a great way to meal prep for a busy week. They can be made on the weekend and then packed into a thermos for a work lunch or served as a hearty and delicious weeknight meal. A big pot of soup like our rustic Italian tomato soup is not only going to satisfy hunger, it’s also going to perfume your kitchen with the most enticingly delicious aroma. Especially during the winter season, when we find ourselves either indulging through the holidays or too busy to grab a proper meal, having a rich and hearty soup on hand – one that is healthy and full of vegetables – is a great way to stay warm and well-fueled.
This recipe is made delicious by adding colorful vegetables, like eggplant, carrots, and potatoes. We like roasting the eggplant and potatoes because each one, when roasted, takes on a whole new flavor dynamic that really makes a difference in this soup. Even the carrots and sautéed onions bring in a nice sweetness that helps to cut some of the acidity of the tomatoes by bringing in a natural sweetness without added sugar. If you’ve ever been skeptical about a vegetarian meal, this is going to convince you otherwise. The potatoes and eggplant add heartiness to the soup, so you know you’re getting something truly satisfying.
A slow cooked, homemade soup is truly something special. We believe it even has restorative qualities, warming us up from the inside and fueling us the right way. Eating well means that we feel well, and these two come together in one pot of amazing rustic Italian tomato soup. If you’ve made some resolutions to start eating better, a great way to get started is with a meal that is filled with delicious and hearty veggies AND tastes amazing. Grab a bowl and enjoy!
Rustic Italian Soup
1 hour 15 minutes to prepare serves 6-8
- 2 (28 oz) cans San Marzano tomatoes, diced
- 1 eggplant, seeded and cubed
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15 oz) can cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat with cooking spray.
- Scatter eggplant cubes and diced potatoes evenly over the baking sheet. Toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and ½ teaspoon black pepper. Roast for 30 minutes, tossing after 15 for even cooking.
- In a stock pot on medium-high, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil. Sauté onions until just translucent. Add bell peppers and carrots and sauté until just softened.
- Add garlic and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Pour diced tomatoes into the stock pot and stir to deglaze. Add the cannellini beans. Lower heat and bring to a simmer, 5 minutes.
- Transfer roasted vegetables to the stock pot and stir to combine. Season with red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Once again, bring soup to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Just before serving, add spinach leaves and stir until wilted. Season with more salt and pepper, to taste.
Recipe adapted from Spinach Tiger.