We love this pop of sweetness topped with toasty breadcrumbs and cheese.
‘Tis the season for tomatoes! We love grabbing a handful of cherry tomatoes fresh from our garden, but they’re also easily found at the grocery store. We had a bunch of cherry tomatoes recently plucked from the garden and wanted to use them for more than just a salad. We found inspiration from three basic ingredients: cherry tomatoes, breadcrumbs, and Parmesan cheese. In a matter of minutes, we had an absolutely delicious side dish that had everyone asking for more.
This dish brings together three Italian staples into a simple yet flavorful combination of deliciousness. Cherry tomatoes are naturally sweet, but roasting really brings out a kind of savory sweetness from the fruit. We wanted to add something to our tomatoes and what could be better than topping them with cheesy breadcrumbs. Toasty cheese and breadcrumbs add great texture and flavor, and we couldn’t resist adding a pop of color and freshness with a few sprigs of basil from our herb garden.
Cooking doesn’t have to be complicated in order to be good and sometimes the best dishes are made with the most simple of ingredients. Cherry tomatoes are super popular in our house; they’re great for snacking, and fun to put on a salad, but roasting them really brought out their natural deliciousness. And it was so easy to make! Roasted tomatoes with basil and parmesan cheese go well with just everything, from chicken to steaks, even fish. We loved watching the fam devour this dish!
Roasted Tomatoes With Basil And Cheese
Serves 4-6; 25 minutes
- 1 pound cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 ½ teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ⅓ cup Italian bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Set oven to broil.
- Coat an 8-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Add tomatoes, garlic, salt and pepper. Drizzle over olive oil and toss to combine.
- Transfer baking dish to oven and broil tomatoes for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes are softened.
- Combine bread crumbs with melted butter and parmesan cheese. Sprinkle over top of tomatoes and return to oven for 1 minute or until breadcrumbs are toasty.
- To serve, sprinkle tomatoes with chopped fresh basil. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Taste and Tell Blog