We talk all the time about how important it is to have recipes in your back pocket that you know will deliver every time: an assortment of recipes for an assortment of occasions. We’ve got dinner recipes you can make on busy weeknights, cake recipes for showing your loved ones how much you care, and side dishes to accompany just about any main dish you could think of. And then there are the recipes that don’t quite count as recipes, but that make a huge impact on your meal, both in regards to how they look and how they taste. Like these rainbow grapes!
What looks like an assortment of rainbow globes on a plate or in a bowl are actually grapes – crazy, we know! All you need are two to three big bags of grapes, plus an assortment of jello packages to coat them in. To achieve the full rainbow, you’ll want cherry (or raspberry or strawberry), orange, lemon, lime, blue raspberry and grape jello, which you’ll just pour into separate bowls. Grab a bunch of toothpicks, then get rolling! All you need is to dunk the grapes in water, then immediately roll them in the dry jello powder, coating the grape completely. Set them all in the fridge to set, and you’re left with a flavorful, hard outer shell and a fresh, juicy grape on the inside.
What a great, simple way to make an eye-catching showstopper – one that’s especially great with (and for!) for little ones. Since these are essentially rolled in sugar, it’s totally fine to buy sugar-free jello packages, but if we can’t find the assortment of colors we’re going for, we just get the regular jello; these are a once in a while treat, so go crazy and grab all the colors. People won’t believe their eyes when they see these magical orbs!
Serves 6; 20 minutes active; 30 minutes inactive
- 3 pounds green seedless grapes, picked off the vine
- 1 (3 oz.) pack red jello, cherry or strawberry
- 1 (3 oz.) pack orange jello, orange
- 1 (3 oz.) pack yellow jello, lemon
- 1 (3 oz.) pack green jello, lime
- 1 (3 oz.) pack blue jello, blue raspberry
- 1 (3 oz.) pack purple jello, grape or blackberry
- parchment paper
- Submerge grapes in a large bowl of water and place each jello packet in a small dish or bowl.
- One at a time, place a toothpick halfway through each grape, going through the stems, then, working in batches roll each grape in one flavor of jello. Transfer to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and let set.
- Continue until all grapes have been rolled in jello, dividing the grapes roughly equally amongst the different flavors.
- Transfer baking sheet to freezer for at least 30 minutes before serving, giving the grapes a chance for the jello coating to harden into a shell.
- Place in serving bowl and enjoy.
Recipe adapted from Momma Told Me