It’s hard to beat a classic pizza. Crispy crust and melty cheese, covered in all your favorite toppings. It’s easy to see why it’s the go-to dish of luncheons, parties, and friday night dinners. I truly believe my kids would be happy eating it every night of the week, but I know my waistline certainly wouldn’t appreciate that! Nevertheless, when the pizza craving strikes it’s pretty hard to ignore…
Those cravings have led me down the “healthier” pizza track many times before. I’ve tried the cauliflower crust, the zucchini crust, the gluten-free variations, and countless others. One I hadn’t yet tried was quinoa! While I wouldn’t exactly call what we made here a traditional pizza with a “crust” but more of a pizza casserole, I can assure you that no one will be complaining!
One of the very best parts about this recipe is that you only need one dish. That’s right, you can mix all the ingredients right in the baking dish and then just pop it in the oven, easy peasy.
The base layer mixture will cook for 30 minutes, then comes the fun part: the toppings! I went for a fully veggie pizza here with mushrooms, green peppers, and olives, but the sky’s the limit for pizza possibilities. Once you have all your toppings piled on, you’ll bake it for a few more minutes. Once the cheese is nice and melty (or crispy, depending on your preferences) your quinoa pizza bake is ready to serve. Dinner has never been so easy!
Quinoa Pizza Bake
10m prep time
40m cook time
- 3/4 cup white quinoa
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cups pasta sauce
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup mozzarella, shredded
- sliced green peppers
- Grease an 8x8 baking dish and preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Add the quinoa, broth, pasta sauce, oregano, and red pepper flakes to the baking dish and combine (you can also mix these together in a large bowl and transfer to the baking dish if desired).
- Bake quinoa mixture for 30 minutes or until all liquid has been absorbed and quinoa has softened.
- Remove from oven and cover with cheese and toppings of your choosing.
- Increase the oven temp to 400 degrees F and bake the dish for an additional 6-8 minutes or until the cheese has fully melted.
- Cut into slices and serve hot!