Of all the classic pasta dishes out there, lasagna has to be one of the most beloved. Layers of noodles, sauce, and cheese baked to bubbling perfection… what’s not to like! Our only real hangup with lasagna is that it can be very labor intensive to make. Cooking up meat and sauce ahead of time, boiling noodles, mixing together the cheese filling– that’s a whole lot of effort on a busy weeknight. Thankfully, we’ve found a solution: this easy Spinach Lasagna recipe!
This recipe uses frozen spinach and canned tomato sauce for an easy-breezy assembly process. The spinach is thawed and mixed with ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan, and an egg for a deliciously creamy filling. We’ve been trying to incorporate more meatless meals into our dinner rotation and this one was instantly voted as a must-repeat recipe.
This simplified lasagna may cut some corners, but you’d never know it with how incredible the final results are. The recipe makes a seriously hefty portion of food so it’s perfect for feeding a crowd or meal prepping for the week. Give it a try for your next family gathering and everyone is sure to be raving about your cooking skills!
30m prep time
1h cook time
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 5 cups pasta sauce
- 2 ½ teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 9 oz frozen spinach, fully thawed and drained
- 16 oz ricotta cheese
- 4 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¾ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Put lasagna noodles in a large baking dish and pour boiling water over the top until they’re submerged. Let soak for 15 minutes, then rinse with cold water and set aside.
- As noodles soak, add olive oil to a large pot over medium heat. Add the diced onion and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 4-5 minutes. Pour in the pasta sauce, then add the Italian seasoning. Continue simmering for 5-6 minutes until the sauce has slightly reduced.
- In a medium-sized bowl, add the drained spinach, ricotta, 2 cups mozzarella, ½ cup parmesan, egg, and salt. Stir until fully combined.
- For assembly: Spread a thin layer of sauce across the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish.
- Arrange 3 noodles across the sauce and then top with ⅓ of the cheese mixture, followed by another thin layer of sauce.
- Place 3 more noodles on top and repeat the process of layering the cheese and sauce, finishing with a layer of noodles and then sauce on the very top.
- Tightly cover the dish with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- emove from over and remove foil. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until cheese is bubbling and starting to turn golden brown.
- Allow lasagna to cool for 10-15 minutes before slicing.
Recipe adapted from Spendwithpennies.com