In a world where fall is ruled by all things pumpkin spice, it’s rare that I come across a dessert with pumpkin in it that I haven’t tried yet. So, why not adlib a little bit? When I saw a honey bun cake recipe, I knew just what I wanted to add to make it ready for fall – pumpkin, of course.
Not only will you find pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice in this delicious little dessert, but there’s a layer of brown sugar and walnuts hidden in all of that fluffy, cakey goodness.
This recipe is incredibly easy to throw together – which is exactly what I look for in a cake that can feed a crowd. It’s made even easier by using a boxed yellow cake mix. Throw in some eggs, oil, canned pumpkin, walnuts, spices, and brown sugar, and you’re good to go! Well, almost.
There’s one ingredient that may seem a little out of place on this list. Sour cream. Trust me on this one, you don’t want to replace this with something else (unless you’re lactose intolerant, of course). What purpose does sour cream serve in a recipe like this? It makes the cake ridiculously moist, which is always a good thing!
The other secret to the deliciousness that is Pumpkin Honey Bun Cake is in the glaze. It’s nothing special in and of itself – powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract, but it’s all in when you pour it on.
Usually, cakes and cookies need to cool before you frost or ice them, to prevent melted frosting. In this case, that’s exactly what we want. Pour the icing over warm cake and let it soak up all of that sweet, sugary syrup! Don’t believe me? Try it out for yourself. Check out the recipe below!
Pumpkin Honey Bun Cake
Makes 12 Servings Prep 20m Cook 40m
For the Cake Batter:
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
For the Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the Cake:
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom and sides of a 13x9 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, beat cake mix, oil, eggs, sour cream, pumpkin, and pumpkin pie spice for about 2 minutes.
- Measure out 2 cups of batter and pour into the bottom of your prepared pan.
- Add walnuts and brown sugar into a small bowl, tossing to combine. Sprinkle evenly over cake batter.
- Spoon remaining batter on top and spread it out evenly with a spatula. Make sure to get the sides and corners.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove the pan to a cooling rack.
For the Glaze:
- Combine powdered sugar, milk and vanilla in a medium bowl. Pour glaze on top of the hot cake, using a spatula to cover the entire cake with glaze. Cool the cake completely before serving.
Recipe adapted from Bunny's Warm Oven.