These cute cups have everything you need for breakfast -except the coffee.
If breakfast is your favorite meal of the day then you know how hard it can be hard to choose between some of your favorites. With these potato quiche cups you get a lot of flavor in a handy little package: potatoes, quiche, and veggies. Not only are they packed full of flavor and nutrients, but these little cups are easy to take for a breakfast on the go if needed.
This recipe starts with some frozen hash browns as the base. You want the shredded kind so that you can mold them into the bottom of muffin tin cups. These will be pre-baked while you work on the topping ingredients so they end up crisp and firm.
The tops of these cups have egg, spinach, cheese, and sliced cherry tomatoes for a little bit of everything in each bite. If you love omelettes for this very reason then you will enjoy these potato quiche cups.
You can use Swiss or cheddar for this recipe or mix it up with some pepper jack for even more flavor. The cheese in this recipe is just enough to add to the creaminess, without being too gooey or overpowering.
As for the spices there’s just a pinch of nutmeg and white pepper in the mix, as well as a little bit of smoked paprika for a richer taste. You can customize the spices to your liking, but some good ones for this recipe are Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, or dill.
You can also make these ahead of time and then freeze or refrigerate them. Then all you need to do is a quick reheat for a tasty breakfast on busy mornings.
Potato Quiche Cups
20m prep time
30m cook time
- 1 (20 oz) package shredded hash browns
- 3 tablespoons melted butter, divided
- 1/3 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch nutmeg
- pinch white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 7 eggs
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups baby spinach, chopped
- 1 1/4 cup cheddar or Swiss cheese
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, some halved and some quartered
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Grease 18 muffin cups with 1 tablespoon melted butter. Divide hash browns between cups, about 4 tablespoons for each one. Press into bottoms and then brush with 1 tablespoon butter. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Beat together remaining butter with onions, garlic powder, nutmeg, white pepper, paprika, cream, milk, salt, pepper, and eggs. Fold in spinach. Divide egg mixture between cups and top with tomatoes.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until eggs are set.
Recipe adapted from Garnish & Glaze.