Mashed potatoes are one of those dishes that you can never go wrong with. Sometimes we embark on a recipe that requires more effort than we initially anticipated, or sometimes a dish just doesn’t turn out to be as yummy as we wanted…but that’s never the case with mashed potatoes. Factor in the fact that you can do something exciting with any leftovers you may have, and we’re really in business!
These mashed potato cabbage balls are cheesy and delicious, and we’re happy to have made them every time we take that first bite. They’re super easy to throw together, then you just scoop them into balls and pop them in the oven and you’re good to go. Check ‘em out next time you’re mashing up those tots – they’re always a hit!
Baked Mashed Potato Balls
30 minutes to prepare serves 10-12
- 3 cups mashed potatoes, chilled
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 3/4 cup cooked cabbage, drained
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons seasoned breadcrumbs
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat oven to 400º F and line 1-2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine mashed potatoes, cabbage, flour, egg and breadcrumbs until roughly mixed together.
- Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder, then fold in 1 1/4 cups cheddar cheese and mix until fully incorporated.
- Using a tablespoon or a small ice cream scoop, scoop out 1-1 1/2-inch balls of potato mixture and place them on lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over them, then bake for 12-15 minutes, or until golden and crisp on the outside.
- Remove from oven, serve immediately and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Handle The Heat