Pep up your weeknight dinner routine with this simple and delicious recipe!
Chicken is often a go-to for quick weeknight dinners, but sometimes we’re looking for a little inspiration to make our usual chicken routine more palatable. This amazing pineapple bacon barbecue chicken dish will absolutely pep up the weeknight dinner routine. Just because chicken is simple doesn’t mean that it needs to be boring. Your tastebuds will tingle at the first bite of this amazing combination of flavors, and we all know that when bacon is involved, we’re in for a delicious treat.
We absolutely love this combination of sweet-spicy-savory that comes from building layers of flavor with pineapple chunks, salty bacon, barbecue sauce, red onion, and slices of jalapeño. Each of these ingredients complements the other to create a mouthwatering meal. As for the process to make this dish, it’s really quite simple.
Start building layers of flavor by covering the chicken with your favorite barbecue sauce then top the chicken with cooked bacon and some diced red onion. We love how the purple onion adds a layer of sweet-spicy flavor.
Next, the pineapple, just a can from the store that we’ve drained. These will release a natural sweet-citrus flavor into the dish that works beautifully with the rest of the ingredients. We also add some of our jalapeño slices here to bake with the chicken and infuse it with delicious flavor.
We can’t resist adding cheese, so a reasonably generous amount of shredded mozzarella cheese will add a lovely creaminess to that tangy barbecue-pineapple combination.
Now, the chicken is ready to go into the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Before we’re done, though, there’s one last step: more slices of jalapeño for a final kick of flavor. Not only will this add that distinctive jalapeño pepper heat, but it also acts as a nice garnish to the dish. If you’re not into the heat, green onion slices will do just trick.
And that’s it! A pineapple bacon barbecue chicken is a weeknight wonder. We love it when dinner comes together with simple ingredients and very little effort. Chicken doesn’t need to be boring or bland, and this recipe is a delicious example of just how to pep up your chicken routine.
Pineapple Bacon Barbecue Chicken
30m prep time
30m cook time
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 (14 oz) can diced pineapple, drained
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced, plus more for serving
- 1/4 cup sliced pickled jalapeños, optional
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese, grated
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place chicken breasts in a baking dish and brush with barbecue sauce.
- Top with diced pineapple, cooked bacon, red onion, and jalapeños, if using. Sprinkle cheese over the top and bake until chicken is cooked through, about 30 minutes. Broil to brown cheese, if desired.
- Top with green onions and a small amount of pineapple, red onion, bacon, and jalapeños for serving, if desired. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Julia's Album.