Peanut Butter Cracker Candy
A nutty twist on the classic!
No matter what name you know it by, there’s a good chance you’re familiar with this treat. Christmas candy, cracker candy, cracker toffee… it’s called countless different things. But the one thing we can all agree on is that it is delicious and all self control goes out the window when it’s placed in front of us. The most common variation is made with saltines, a homemade caramel sauce, and a chocolate topping. Those classic flavors will never fail us, but when we heard about this peanut butter version we knew we had to give it a try!
The process in this recipe is very similar to the original cracker candy, except instead of chocolate chips you’ll be using peanut butter chips. We used Reese’s chips, but anything similar will do. Line your baking sheet with foil for easy removal and arrange the saltines into an even layer reaching to the edges of the sheet. You’ll then cook butter and brown sugar until they come to a boil and pour this caramel sauce over the crackers.
The final step will be sprinkling the peanut butter chips over the top and popping the sheet in the oven. We’ve found the peanut butter chips don’t melt down and lose their shape like chocolate chips. That means you’ll want to watch it carefully as it bakes and take the sheet out once the chips are starting to melt!
Once you’ve removed the sheet from the oven, spread the chips into an even layer and sprinkle with chopped peanuts, mini chocolate chips, or whatever toppings your heart desires. Other nuts like pecans or almonds would also make tasty options, or we’ve thought about chopped Reese’s cups… While that would be totally over the top, it would also be delicious! No matter how you decide to finish off this treat, it’s bound to be a crowd favorite.
Peanut Butter Cracker Candy
15m prep time
- 1-2 sleeves saltine crackers
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 10oz bag peanut butter chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup unsalted peanuts, chopped
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and line a baking sheet with foil. Arrange saltines in an even layer, covering the whole sheet.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter and then add the brown sugar. Cook over medium heat until sugar is fully dissolved and the mixture starts to bubble.
- Once bubbling, cook for an additional 30 seconds then immediately pour the sauce over the crackers. Use a spatula to evenly distribute the sauce if needed.
- Working quickly, sprinkle the peanut butter chips over the sauce and place the baking sheet in the preheated oven.
- Bake for 5-8 minutes or until the chips are starting to melt. Remove from oven and use a spatula to spread the chips into an even layer.
- While still hot, sprinkle chopped peanuts and chocolate chips on top.
- Let candy cool and then transfer to the fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Break into cracker-sized pieces and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Breadboozebacon.com