If you’re asking me, the chocolate peanut butter cup is just about the most perfect candy ever created. There’s something about that peanut butter-chocolate combination that no other confection can quite match. When you take that ever-wonderful combination, combine it with some creaminess, and layer it into an easy no-bake trifle… well, you’ve got a guaranteed recipe for sweet success, my friends.
To keep things simple, we use pre-made brownies in our Peanut Butter Brownie Trifle. If you go that route, it means you won’t even have to turn on your oven, but you still get a whole lot of chocolate to contrast all the peanut butter flavor. The other components – save for the actual peanut butter cups – go towards the creation of the heavenly fluffy and creamy peanut butter layer.
That layer is just a simple mixture of vanilla instant pudding with some peanut butter and whipped topping folded in. The whipped topping adds airiness and keeps the peanut butter flavor from feeling too heavy, while the peanut butter cups and chunks of brownie add rich and chewy bites throughout.
See, this easy trifle is all about contrast and balance. You have peanut butter versus chocolate. Creamy versus chewy. Rich flavors versus subtle. You could say it’s a dessert study in yin and yang, if that were a thing. The point is this: it’s the ideal cool and creamy dessert for any occasion when you need something simple but sure to please. No one can get enough of that peanut butter-chocolate combo.
Peanut Butter Brownie Trifle
- 1 package brownies or brownie bites, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 (13 oz.) packages mini peanut butter cups, cut in half
- 4 cups cold whole milk
- 2 (5.1 oz.) packages instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (16 oz.) carton frozen whipped topping, thawed
- In a large bowl, whisk milk into vanilla pudding packages and stir for 2 minutes, or until pudding starts to thicken.
- Stir in peanut butter and vanilla extract, mixing until fully incorporated, then fold in 3/4 frozen whipped topping.
- Spread half of cubed brownies across bottom of 9x13-inch baking dish, then sprinkle 1/2 halved peanut butter cups over the brownies, then spread 1/2 pudding mixture over brownies and peanut butter cups.
- Repeat with remaining brownies, peanut butter cups and pudding.
- Top with remaining frozen whipped topping, then sprinkle remaining chopped peanut butter cups over the trifle.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or until set.
Recipe adapted from Julie's Eats and Treats.