Everybody’s craved and enjoyed the classic apple fritter, but would you believe us if we told you there was an even better, sister-fruit fritter that blew aforementioned apple fritter out of the water?? It’s true! We wanted something a little more seasonally appropriate, in order to make use of all the peaches we’ve been bringing home, so we decided to make a peach version. Let us tell you, this dessert is amazing. It’s not too sweet (thank you, cinnamon, for added some depth of flavor), and has the slightest bite to it, once you bite into a piece of peach…in short, these bad boys are perfection! Whether you make these for a decadent breakfast or as dessert after a light summer dinner, you can’t go wrong.
- 2 fresh peaches, peeled and sliced
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- canola oil, for frying
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Beat in eggs, milk and melted butter and vanilla, and mix until just combined, then gently fold in peaches.
- Heat 2-3 inches oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat to approximately 375º F.
- In a medium bowl, pour 3 tablespoons milk into 1 cup powdered sugar to make glaze. Whisk together until smooth, adding more milk for a thinner glaze, less for a thick one.
- Using a long-handled spoon, carefully lower 1/3 cup batter into hot oil (it will sink) and fry for 2-3 minutes, or until fritter rises to the surface of oil and is golden brown.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove fritters from oil and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Drizzle glaze over the fritters and serve immediately!
Recipe adapted from Bunny’s Warm Oven