My house is fairly divided on the sweet versus savory breakfast debate (I am pretty much always Team Sweet). But, if there’s one dish that united us all it is these Orange Sour Cream Rolls. They’re loaded up with zesty orange flavor, stuffed with cream cheese, and drenched in a rich sour cream glaze. Heaven in breakfast form! I’ve never met a soul who didn’t love them. If you’re looking for a special occasion breakfast treat then this recipe is just the thing.
Start out by mixing up some sugar, fresh orange zest, and almond extract. The crescent roll dough is brushed with melted butter and then coated with the orange sugar mixture. A small cube of cream cheese is placed at the wide end of the triangle and then it gets wrapped up in one tasty package. Arrange the rolls in a baking dish and pour the leftover butter off top. Pop those babies in the oven for about half an hour and get started on the glaze.
You’ll mix together sour cream, melted butter, orange juice, almond extract, and a pinch of salt until it’s nice and smooth. Once the rolls are done baking, allow them to cool for 5 minutes then pour that delicious glaze over the top. Sprinkle some orange zest on each roll and they’re ready to serve. Be ready for everyone to want seconds!
Orange Sour Cream Rolls
Makes 16 rolls
10m prep time
35m cook time
- 2 cans crescent roll dough
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange zest
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¾ C sugar
- ½ C sour cream
- ½ C butter, melted and warm
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Additional orange zest for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13-inch pan.
- Unroll and separate dough on a large cutting board.
- In a small bowl, mix together 1/4 cup sugar, almond extract, and orange zest.
- Brush each dough triangle with melted butter. Spread orange zest/sugar mixture onto buttered dough and place a cube of cream cheese at the wide end of each triangle
- Starting at the wide end, roll each triangle, then place point side down in the greased pan. Pour remaining butter over the rolls and sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Bake rolls for 30-35 minutes. Start glaze as rolls bake.
- Glaze: whisk together sugar, sour cream, butter, orange juice, almond extract, and pinch of salt in a small bowl.
- Remove rolls from oven and let cool about 5 minutes, then pour glaze over top and sprinkle with orange zest.
Recipe adapted from Myrecipereviews.com