When it comes to whipping up a quick meal, one pot pasta is a little bit of a miracle worker. If you’re unfamiliar, it’s a process where you dump all of your ingredients – uncooked pasta included – into a pot, and let everything cook together at the same time. Since the pasta cooks in its own sauce, the end result is always so flavorful, and our One Pot Mediterranean Pasta is no exception.
This pasta showcases some Mediterranean standards, like olives and feta, while fire roasted tomatoes and artichoke hearts dress it up a bit. It’s not a terribly long list of ingredients – there’s some oregano, thyme, garlic, and red onion too – but there’s no extra sauce to make or add-ins to saute. As soon as the pasta is al dente, you’re done!
The method is this simple: place all the ingredients (save for the feta) in the pot – your pasta, your canned goods, your onion and garlic, and pour in the broth and bring it to a simmer. You stir it occasionally and as it cooks, the pasta absorbs the liquid and the flavor from the ingredients that surround it.
Once it’s al dente and most of the liquid has absorbed, you can stir the feta in. It will melt into the remaining liquid, creating a slightly creamy sauce you had to do nothing for. All that’s left to do is season to taste and dig in! The olives and the feta do bring in a bit of saltiness, so make sure to season accordingly.
Pasta is such a great thing to turn to when you need dinner in a hurry, and this method just might be the end all be all example. In fifteen short minutes, you go from nothing to deliciously sauced noodles, with no need to actually construct a separate sauce. That kind of quick comfort is pretty hard to beat!
One Pot Mediterranean Pasta
Serves 4; 15 minutes
- 1 lb dried linguine
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup pitted black olives, halved
- 1 (15 oz) can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz) can artichoke hearts, drained
- 1/2 cup feta, crumbled
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Add linguine, broth, onion, oregano, thyme, garlic, olives, tomatoes, and artichoke hearts to a large pot. Season with salt and pepper and place over high heat and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered until pasta is al dente and most of the liquid has absorbed, about 10-12 minutes.
- Stir in feta and season to taste with additional salt and pepper, if needed. Serve and enjoy!
Adapted from Midwest Foodie Blog.