Granola bars make a great on the go snack or breakfast, but they sure do add up in cost if you buy them frequently! But no matter – you can easily make them yourself at home and get the same chewy convenient snack in a much more economical fashion. And you don’t have to bake anything at all! This no-bake recipe is super simple and totally versatile too – add in your favorite dried fruit or nuts, a touch of cinnamon… there are endless combinations to try out.
Our base is made up of a few different things so you get a nice texture with both plenty of chew and crunch. There’s both rolled oats and steel cut oats as well as crispy rice cereal. We’ve added in some mixed dried fruit and almonds but you could opt for raisins and walnuts or whatever strikes your fancy.
All of that is bound together by a mixture of butter or coconut oil, brown sugar, honey, and vanilla that gets melted together on the stovetop. And yes, either butter or coconut oil works! Butter (of course) is the tastier option but coconut oil is great as a healthier choice.
All that’s left to do is press the mixture into a pan, top it with some chocolate chips, let it all firm up, and you’re ready to snack! Easy, right?!
Chewy No Bake Granola Bars
10m prep time
Allergens: Tree Nuts
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup crispy rice cereal
- 1/2 cup dried fruit of choice, chopped
- 1/2 cup almonds, chopped
- 1/4 cup coconut oil or butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with butter or nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together rolled oats, steel-cut oats, rice cereal, dried fruit, and almonds.
- Melt butter or coconut oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add brown sugar, honey, vanilla, and salt and whisk until sugar has dissolved, about 2 minutes.
- Pour mixture over oats and stir to combine.
- Spread mixture in prepared baking dish. Press chocolate chips into the top and chill until firm, 1 hour. Slice into bars and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Bowl of Delicious.