Delicious dinners full of flavor and easy to cook are what we all want at the end of a busy day. Our mushroom spinach chicken skillet is just one of those recipes, robust and hearty in flavor and pretty easy to put together. The recipe echoes chicken marsala, but we’ve taken a few liberties in order to accommodate some special ingredients, like spinach and basil. This is a meal that will definitely impress the family or even dinner guests. We also like this because it’s a great recipe for new cooks that are looking for something special and easy.
Chicken thighs are a great way to add flavor without using any other ingredients. The darker meat is naturally more flavorful than chicken breasts, and the meat is super tender too. Chicken thighs cook up quickly, so you can get dinner on the table even faster. We like to sear the meat to help lock in those essential juices and bring out even more flavor. But plain old chicken is never enough, so that’s where we start to build this masterpiece. Onion, garlic, spinach, and basil each bring something special to each bite, while woodsy, hearty mushrooms add richness and texture. We’re also able to create a nice sauce with some chicken stock and tomato paste, which mixes in with the natural juices of the chicken to create a delightfully simple, savory sauce.
Before you know it, dinner is ready! To give the dish a little more substance, we like to serve our mushroom spinach chicken over spaghetti noodles or even a scoop or two of rice. Yum! Every flavor has an opportunity to shine – from the basil and spinach to the mushrooms and chicken, and that’s what makes the meal well balanced and delicious. This fresh and flavorful meal is truly a delight and something that everyone will be able to enjoy. We hope you do too!
Mushroom Spinach Chicken Skillet
Serves 4; 40 minutes
- 1 ½ pounds chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups spinach, rough chopped
- 1 cup basil, rough chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Sear chicken thighs, 5 minutes on each side. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside on a plate.
- Add 1 tablespoon butter and sauté onions until just translucent. Add garlic and stir frequently until fragrant. Stir in tomato paste.
- Pour chicken stock in the skillet to deglaze the pan, scraping up any bits of flavor from the bottom. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and add mushrooms, spinach, and basil leaves.
- Return chicken thighs to the skillet, including any juices from the plate. Increase heat to medium and cook until chicken thighs are cooked through, reaching an internal temperature of 165°F. Add more salt and pepper, to taste, before serving. Enjoy!