This hearty vegetarian soup is so easy to make.
If you love soup then you probably have no shortage of recipes in your arsenal. But, this recipe comes from Armenia and features an unexpected player in the soup field: oyster mushrooms. Mushrooms are such are an easy and cheap way to add protein and flavor to a dish, particularly soups.
In this case oyster mushrooms add a meaty look and taste to this vegetable soup. Sliced green beans and carrots impart their flavor as well and the dish is topped off with freshly chopped cilantro.
There’s no meat and no bullion in this soup so all the flavor comes from the vegetables, spices, and a generous amount of butter.
In addition 2 eggs -beaten and then poured into the hot soup- add even more protein and bite to the dish. In all this is a pretty simple recipe, but the results are so good that this might become one of your new go-to soup recipes.
Mushroom Soup with Green Beans
15m prep time
38m cook time
- 2 1/2 cups oyster mushrooms
- 8 oz fresh green beans
- 1 onion
- 2 carrots
- 5 1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 ounces fresh cilantro
- 2 eggs
- Wash the mushrooms and green beans. Trim off the ends of the beans and cut the beans into pieces.
- Add boiling water to stock pot and put in the sliced mushrooms and green beans. Add salt and start cooking.
- Meanwhile heat the butter in a skillet and cook the minced onions until softened. When ready, add the diced carrots and fry for a few minutes. When the carrots become soft, season with salt and fry for a few more minutes.
- Add the carrots in the pan and continue to cook the soup for 15 minutes. Take the eggs and separate the yolk from the egg white.
- Finely chop fresh cilantro, season it with salt and black pepper and add to the soup. Remove the pan from the heat and add the egg yolks. Continue cooking for few more minutes.
- Turn off the heat, cover the lid and serve after 2 to 3 minutes.