When you’re thinking about that pool party or backyard BBQ, and you’re wondering what you’re going to prepare that’s going to be easy to whip up and tasty enough to have everybody coming back for seconds, this Mexican coleslaw is the dish that’ll get you through the summer. While we’ll always love traditional coleslaw, we can’t help but feel that this one is way better, since it’s pumped up and chock full of color and flavor. Cabbage and/or coleslaw mix is still the base of this recipe, but we’ve thrown in a bunch of add-ins – corn, bell peppers, black beans, jalapeño and lime juice – that turn this into something special…trust us, you’re going to like this!
One of the best parts about this recipe, as with the classic version, is that it’s super refreshing and perfect for days when you need to get a little pick-me-up in the form of a tasty side dish. The taco seasoning and jalapeño kick things up a notch (without being too spicy), and the other add-ins we mentioned above all work together to give this dish more substance, so it’ll fill you up and keep you full. Finally, any dish that you can make in under 10 minutes and that can feed a crowd is absolutely A-okay with us. You can’t go wrong with this!
- 1 (14 oz.) bag coleslaw mix
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 orange bell pepper, diced
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 (13.75 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (13.75 oz.) can corn, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, minced
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 jalapeño, seeds removed, minced
- 1 package taco seasoning
- In a medium bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream, lime juice and taco seasoning until combined. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Combine all other ingredients (coleslaw mix, bell peppers, black beans, corn, cilantro and jalapeño) in a large bowl.
- Toss with taco seasoning mixture until everything is thoroughly coated, then top with more cilantro, if desired. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Lemon Tree Dwelling