Magic Crispy Baked Shrimp has been a favorite at 12 Tomatoes for long while now, so we thought why not take some of those same tricks and use them on something new… like scallops! And the end result was just as magical as the original – tender, succulent scallops surrounded in buttery, garlicky, crispy goodness AND an easy baked preparation to boot. It’s the type of dish that seems too good to be true, but it’s good to believe in a little magic every once in a while.
This is a situation where the oven does most of the work for you. It reduces the sauce, it gives the scallops their crispy coating… there’s no stovetop work at all for you to worry about. Just add some butter and white wine to your baking dish and pop it in the oven for a few minutes until the sauce reduces.
While that cooks, you’ll stir the scallops into a mixture of olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, paprika, and cayenne pepper. It’s just the right flavor combo to accent the scallops but not overwhelm them, but the crispy topping is what really makes these magic. And I love that that’s done without frying!
You just stir together some panko breadcrumbs with melted butter and parmesan cheese and sprinkle it over the scallops. Everything bakes together in the oven – about fifteen minutes will take the scallops to perfect doneness and make the breadcrumb topping irresistibly crispy, all together with a buttery white wine sauce that’s perfect for spooning over pasta. Pure magic!
Magic Crispy Baked Scallops
5m prep time
25m cook time
- 1 1/2 lb scallops
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
For the topping:
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- Fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Add butter and white wine to a 8x10-inch baking dish. Place in oven for 10 minutes to let sauce reduce.
- Meanwhile, dry scallops well with a paper towel and remove any attached muscle by pinching and tearing it away from the scallop.
- Add olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, paprika, and cayenne pepper to a bowl. Add scallops and toss to coat.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the breadcrumbs, melted butter, and parmesan cheese.
- Arrange scallops in a single layer in the baking dish and sprinkle with breadcrumb topping. Bake until topping is golden brown, 15-18 minutes.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve. Enjoy!