When you think of potato salad, you probably think of the mayo-heavy classic picnic variety. Well, this version definitely is potato salad and just as worthy of a spot at your picnic, but it’s completely without mayo. Instead, baby potatoes are tossed in a delicious lemony dressing and plenty of fresh green herbs for a potato salad that has amazing flavor but won’t even think of weighing you down. It’s bright and citrusy and if I’m being honest, I much prefer it to its creamier cousin.
Aside from how delicious this is, the other good news is that this is very simple to make. Chop your herbs while the potatoes boil, then stir together the dressing and you’re done in just about twenty minutes. I like waxy, skin-on baby potatoes here as they don’t crumble in the vinaigrette style dressing.
You just boil your potatoes until they’re fork-tender, and then while they’re still warm toss them with a quick dressing of lemon juice, olive oil, and Dijon (plus a few other goodies) and fresh chives, dill, and parsley. The warmth helps the potatoes really soak in that herby-citrusy flavor so make sure you don’t let your potatoes hang out for too long before dressing them.
I love this particular potato salad because I feel like you actually get to enjoy the potato more than you do when it’s coated in mayo. Here, the herbs and lemon complement the sweet and earthy tuber instead of just covering it up with creaminess. Picnic, potluck, or basic weeknight dinner, this side dish is always a welcome addition.
No-Mayo Lemon Herb Potato Salad
5m prep time
15m cook time
- 2 lbs baby potatoes
- 1/4 cup fresh chives, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Cut potatoes in half and leave skin on. Place in a large pot and add enough cold water to cover them by 1-inch. Add a teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and let simmer until fork tender, 15-20 minutes. Drain and place potatoes in a large bowl.
- While potatoes cook, whisk together the dressing ingredients - olive oil, lemon juice and zest, garlic, mustard, and some salt and pepper.
- Add dressing, chives, parsley, and dill to potatoes while still warm and toss to combine. Adjust seasoning as needed and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from My Food Story.