Pigs in a blanket, franks in blanks, kilted sausages– this savory snack is known by many names, but one thing we can surely all agree on is that they are delicious. I mean, what’s not to love about buttery dough wrapped around your favorite sausage. We recently discovered this bite-sized sliced version and it just might be our new go-to.. Made with a larger sausage like kielbasa or your favorite smoked sausage, these poppable treats are the perfect party appetizer or quick snack!
For this recipe we’ve included two variations. The first one includes shredded cheddar cheese and the second has a thick smear of cream cheese. We used jalapenos cream cheese spread, but chive or any other savory flavor would also work. The sheet of dough is rolled tightly around the sausage and then sliced into bite-sized rounds. The final step is brushing a sweet dijon sauce over the top, then they’re ready for the oven.
These bites bake for just under 20 minutes or until they’re golden in color. Bake them up right before serving because they’re best hot! These Kilted Sausage Bites are great for a game day get-together, movie night, or backyard shindig. Give the recipe a try and we’re sure you’ll love it!
Kilted Sausage Bites
10m prep time
18m cook time
- 2 (8 oz) crescent roll dough sheet
- 2 12 oz kielbasa or smoked sausages
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- ⅓ cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and lightly grease a large baking sheet.
- Unroll 1 tube of crescent dough and pinch internal seams together to form one large sheet.
- On the first sheet, sprinkle shredded cheese then place 1 sausage at the long edge of the rectangle (sausage can be cut in half if it has a bend). Roll tightly and pinch the final seam to secure dough.
- Repeat step 2 and 3 with the second sheet, but spread cream cheese on half the sheet inplace of shredded cheese.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the rolls into ¾ inch rounds and place on baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, mix together glaze ingredients and brush over the tops. Sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the dough is crispy and golden.
- Serve warm with ketchup, mustard, or condiment of your choice.
Recipe adapted from Appetizeraddiction.com