Named for the rhyme about jump ropes that involves different kinds of fruit, this fruit-packed pie is a fun treat with a double crust. If you’re anything like me then the crust is your favorite part of just about any pie.
For this recipe you can use pre-made pie crusts from the grocery or you can make them from scratch using a recipe like this one.
The filling is full of different fruits: apples, peaches, pears, and plums. To enhance their flavor are plenty of different spices like cardamom, cinnamon, and vanilla.
For the top crust I chose to do a twisted lattice design, which reminded me of rope so I went with it. But, you can do a full crust, plain lattice, or any other design that you like. As long as there are places for the steam to escape while the pie bakes you’re good.
There’s no need to blind bake this pie, but there are 2 tricks you’ll need to use in order to get perfectly-cooked fruit combined with a golden crust. The first is that it goes into the oven on a really hot setting and stays at that temperature for the first 15 minutes of baking. After that you reduce the heat.
The other trick is to cover the top with foil if it starts to brown too quickly. This is something I do for all my pies, but it’s important to keep an eye on this one since the starting temperature is so high.
I like to serve this pie with some whipped cream, but some vanilla ice cream would also be great with all the fruits.
If you’re a fruit pie person or a double crust person then this is one pie you simply have to try.
Jump Rope Pie
Makes 8 slices
2h 5m prep time
50m cook time
- 1 (15 oz) package pre-made pie crust or recipe for 2 (9”) crusts from scratch
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, or more as needed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 peeled and sliced apples
- 1 peach, diced
- 1 pear, peeled and chopped
- 2 plums, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated ginger or ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line pie pan with first crust. Set aside. Preheat oven to 425˚F.
- In large bowl combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, apples, peaches, pears, plums, ginger, lemon juice, and vanilla.
- Place filling into pie pan. Cut remaining crust into strips and arrange in lattice or twisted lattice formation on top of pie. Crimp edges and trim any excess crust.
- Bake for 15 minutes then reduce heat to 315˚F and bake for another 35-40 minutes. Cover with foil part way through baking if it begins to darken too quickly.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting into slices. Optional: serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Recipe adapted from All Recipes.