Italian Apple Cake
The freshest cake you’ll ever taste.
This Italian apple cake is not only super soft, but it’s also got that fresh, tart apple flavor. You can use any type of apples you like, just make sure they are peeled. The cake also has a great texture since it’s got an olive oil base.
If you’ve never had an olive oil cake then you’re in for a real treat. Because it’s an oil and not a solid fat the cakes you get with olive oil are incredibly tender and have just a little bit fruitier flavor thanks to the olive oil.
To keep the apples from turning brown you toss them the juice of 1 lemon. Toss the lemon zest in as well and you’ve got a delicate, citrusy, green flavor that mixes so perfectly with the olive oil in the batter. The combination is almost bordering on floral in the best way possible. It’s kind of crazy the delicious mix these flavors make.
There’s no icing or glaze on this cake, just a simple dusting of powdered sugar on top once it’s cooled down.
I think a lemon glaze would taste good with this cake, but you don’t need the moisture at all- this cake is never dry. And while this cake doesn’t need anything, I speak from experience when I say that a little dollop of whipped cream goes very nicely with the slight tartness of the lemon in this cake. I could also see just a tiny bit of mascarpone going great with this treat, too.
As for the sweetness this is a lot less sweet than something like a birthday cake or a chocolate cake. This makes it an ideal cake for lighter meals or even for breakfast, as you don’t feel heavy after eating this wonderful, fruity, zesty, Italian dessert.
Italian Apple Cake
Makes 12 slices of cake
1h 40m prep time
50m cook time
- 2 apples
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 egg
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Peel and dice 1 apple. Peel and grate the other apple. Place in large bowl and toss with lemon juice and zest.
- Beat egg and sugar together in large bowl for 2 minutes. Blend in milk, olive oil, and vanilla until uniform in color. Stir in flour, baking powder, and salt. Fold in lemon zest and apples.
- Pour into greased bundt pan and bake for 40-50 minutes in center of oven. Knife inserted when it's done will be almost clean.
- Allow to cool for 30 minutes before removing from pan. Allow to finish cooling all the way on wire rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar using a sieve just before serving. Serve with whipped cream if desired.
Recipe adapted from This Italian Kitchen.