A chicken tender is one thing, but how about a chicken tender that’s coated in a salty, crunchy pretzel coating and served with a tangy-sweet honey mustard sauce? Pretty good, right? That’s what we’ve got for you here, but there’s other good news too. This recipe also includes some honey mustard kissed potato wedges and everything bakes up on the same sheet pan. It’s one seriously delicious sheet pan dinner.
I mean, just look at that sauce! It’s not only sweet and tangy, it’s creamy too. And it’s not only there for dipping once everything is baked, it also goes into flavoring the chicken and the potatoes themselves. It’s a true multitasker.
You start by whisking up the sauce, which is a mixture of (you guessed it) honey and both Dijon and yellow mustards, as well as some mayo and apple cider vinegar. A bit of that sauce gets mixed with some egg for coating the chicken…
… before it’s dredged in salty, crispy crushed pretzels.
Baby potatoes are cut into wedges and tossed in some of the honey mustard sauce as well, and they get a ten-minute head start in the oven so that everything is done cooking at the same time. You can still use the same sheet pan for everything, you’ll just push the potatoes to one side once you’re ready to put the chicken on.
I love making sheet pan meals because they make quick weeknight dinners SO easy, but it’s rare that my family is as excited about them as I am. This crunchy Honey Mustard Pretzel Chicken is the exception, though. It’s a sheet pan meal that we all get excited about every time it’s served. And with something this crunchy and delicious, how could you not?
Honey Mustard Pretzel Chicken
- For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- For the potatoes:
- 3 cups baby potatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Honey Mustard Sauce
- For the chicken and pretzel coating:
- 8 boneless skinless chicken tenders
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups pretzels, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spray with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, honey, mustards, vinegar, and salt and pepper.
- Remove 1/4 cup of the sauce to a shallow bowl and stir in the egg for coating the chicken.
- To the prepared baking sheet, add the potatoes and top with olive oil, 1 tablespoon of the Honey Mustard Sauce, and season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine and spread potatoes out evenly. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir together the pretzel crumbs, garlic powder, paprika, and some salt and pepper.
- Dredge each chicken piece in the egg & honey mustard mixture, letting excess drip off, then dredge in pretzel crumb mixture, pressing crumbs into chicken firmly.
- Push potatoes to one side of the pan, then place chicken along the other side. Lightly spray with cooking spray to encourage browning.
- Bake until chicken is cooked through, 12-18 more minutes. Serve with remaining Honey Mustard Sauce and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Carlsbad Cravings.