I LOVE sweet potatoes – in pie-form, french-fry form, casserole-form, and in chip-form.
I LOVE sweet potatoes – in pie-form, french-fry form, casserole-form, and in chip form. In the interest of making some healthier food choices, I decided to give this recipe for homemade sweet potato chips a try. I don’t think I’ll ever go back to regular potato chips again! This is a big statement, I know, but once I fiddled and tweaked with making these at home, I don’t see much reason – other than obvious convenience – to buy a bag of chips again. When I want to satisfy that salty craving, these chips do just the trick.
Homemade potato chips are a real treat, and for optimal results, you’ll want to make use of a kitchen mandoline slicer. Of course, a sharp knife and a steady hand will work in a pinch, but for even slices, the mandoline is the way to go. I use the thinnest possible setting so that my chips are of equal thickness – this will help them bake uniformly. As for seasoning, I like keeping things simple with coarse sea salt and pepper. It’s also a great opportunity to be creative with your flavors; a little sweetness or some spice would work beautifully. And sometimes I like to keep the peel on the potatoes – it gives them a more rustic look.
The potatoes will bake in the oven for a total of 20-24 minutes, with the chips flipped halfway through the baking process. You’ll then transfer the chips to a wire cooling rack to cool completely, especially before storing them away. Everyone’s ovens have their own unique personalities so you’ll want to stay attentive to how the chips look as they bake so that your batch will come out crispy and delicious.
Baked sweet potato chips are a fun way to try a healthier version of my beloved potato chips. I served these at a little gathering with friends recently and the chips were met with rave reviews. A lovely fresh made dip on the side is a tasty complement to the sweet potato chips. Healthy foods don’t have to taste like cardboard! When healthy snacks can still satisfy my craving for comfort foods, that’s a win-win!
Homemade Sweet Potato Chips
Serves 4-6; 30 minutes
- 1 ½ pounds sweet potatoes, peeled
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Set the mandolin to its thinnest setting. Slice into thin rounds. Place sliced sweet potato into a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix olive oil, salt, cinnamon, and pepper until well combined. Pour seasoned oil mixture over the potato slices and toss until evenly coated.
- Spread slices onto the prepared baking sheets into a thin even layer, leaving a small amount of space between each slice.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes then flip and bake for another 10-12 minutes until edges are crisped and chips are golden in color.
- Cool chips on a cooling rack. Once completely cooled, the chips may be stored in an airtight container for about 1 week.
Recipe adapted from Delicious Meets Healthy.