Everyone claims to have a special chili recipe, but this time, it’s true! This Hearty Pumpkin chili has everything we love about the original with just a splash of cinnamon and a can of pumpkin puree. The original recipe calls for ground turkey, but you can replace that with beef or even sausage if you’re feeling fancy.
This meal all comes together in a large pot or Dutch oven, which means there’s minimal clean-up. I can definitely get behind a filling meal with only a few dishes to rinse out afterward!
Like most chili recipes, this one is incredibly easy to whip up. Start by heating a large heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add olive oil, onions, peppers, garlic, cumin, chili powder, salt, and ground turkey. Sauté until the turkey is fully cooked.
Then, add the remaining ingredients except for the garnishes. Simmer over low heat until onions and peppers are tender, about 30 minutes. When ready to serve, top the chili with sour cream, cheese, and scallions.
This is one hearty meal that will stick to your bones and warm you up from the inside! In other words, it’s perfect for the fall and winter months. Check out the full ingredient list and instructions below!
Hearty Pumpkin Chili
20m prep time
1h 55m cook time
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 (15-oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15-oz.) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (10-oz.) can condensed tomato soup
- 1 cup water
- 1 (15-oz.) can pumpkin purée
- Sour cream and scallions, for garnish (optional)
- Heat a large heavy-bottomed pot (Dutch oven) over medium-low heat.
- Add olive oil, onions, peppers, garlic, cumin, chili powder, salt, and ground turkey. Sauté until the turkey is fully cooked.
- Add the remaining ingredients except for the garnishes. Simmer over low heat until onions and peppers are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Top with sour cream, cheese, and scallions, and serve up hot!
Recipe adapted from Just a Taste.