“Hasselback potatoes have long been a favorite of ours, as we love the way the flavors seep all the way through the potatoes, adding extra deliciousness to every bite. For those of you who haven’t tried them, Hasselback potatoes are when you make a series of cuts into the potato, without cutting all the way to the bottom. Then, you stuff said slits with anything you want! Cheese, bacon, chives, etc…you really can’t go wrong.
Recently we decided to try the same method with chicken breasts, adding thin slits and stuffing them with a savory filling, and the results blew us away! The chicken came out moist and succulent with a little bit of cheesy goodness in every bite, and the fresh spinach adds a nice contrast to the cheese and an extra boost of nutrition. We love to make this dish for special celebrations, but it is quick and easy enough to prepare for dinner on a busy weeknight as well – now that’s what we call a winner!”
Cheesy Spinach Hasselback Chicken
45 minutes to prepare serves 6
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- to taste salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 350º F, and grease a large baking sheet.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add spinach to pan and cook, stirring continuously until spinach is wilted. Remove pan from heat.
- Stir ricotta and Cajun seasoning into the wilted spinach.
- Place chicken breasts on greased baking sheet. Use a sharp knife to slice several vertical slits about three-quarters of the way through each chicken breast. Make the slits about 1/2 inch apart.
- Stuff the slits with spinach ricotta mixture. Season chicken generously with salt and pepper, then sprinkle shredded cheddar evenly over them.
- Place baking sheet in oven and bake for 25 minutes. Finish the chicken by browning the cheese underneath a hot broiler for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from oven, serve hot and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Simple Healthy Kitchen