You’d be hard pressed to find a better pair than peaches and cream. The combination of velvety cream and sweet, tender peaches is so darn good that it’s even used as a turn of phrase, which is why we’ve chosen these two to fold into this delicious quick bread. It’s tender and sweet and we swear the smell of it baking is enough to warm the cockles of your heart.
The base of this bread is an Amish Friendship Bread starter, which is a sweet sourdough starter. It gives this bread a depth of flavor that’s missing from most quick breads – it’s sweet but has a nice hint of sourdough tang. The bread itself is a cinch to mix up and comes together in one bowl. Seriously, it might take you all of five minutes before you’re ready to pop this in the oven. That and the timelessly irresistible flavor of peaches and cream make this a real winner in our book!
If you don’t happen to have an Amish Friendship Bread starter going in your home, you can find the steps to create one here. It’s made by mixing together some flour, milk, sugar, and yeast and leaving it at room temperature to ferment over the course of ten days. It does take some time, but the process involves little more than occasionally feeding the starter with more milk, sugar, and flour, and mixing it up every once in a while. On the tenth day, you divide the starter up into one cup portions to give to friends. We just love the sentiment behind it; it’s a heartfelt gift to give to loved ones.
Peaches & Cream Quick Bread
Serves 6-8; 1 hour, 15 minutes
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup Amish Friendship Bread starter
- 1 cup oil
- 1 cup peaches, chopped
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 box (3.4 oz) cream cheese instant pudding
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325°F and lightly grease a 9x5” loaf pan before dusting it with the 1/2 granulated sugar. (Reserve some for dusting the top of the bread, if desired.)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except peaches, and mix until thoroughly combined. Add peaches and stir gently until well incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle some sugar over the top, if desired.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy!
Adapted from The Friendship Bread Kitchen.