Savory and sweet in perfect harmony.
If you’re a fan of cheese dips then this fluffy honey feta dip is one you must try. The feta in this recipe is whipped up until it’s light and airy. Then you pour over some honey on top. The whole thing is laced with Mediterranean herbs and then served with homemade pita chips for maximum flavor. A lot of unexpected flavors come together in this recipe and the result is tastier than we could have imagined.
To start with you’ll need not only the feta, but the herbs. The ideal spice blend is a Greek spice mix, usually available in the baking/spice aisle. If you can’t find this you could use herbs de Provence or Italian seasoning. If you do use one of these substitutes then I suggest adding a bit of dried mint to the mix for that signature Greek flavor.
To help the feta achieve its whipped state there’s an equal amount of cream cheese in this dip as well, which pairs nicely with the herbs.
To make the pita chips you only need to cut them into triangles, brush them with olive oil, and then pop them into the oven for a short time to get those crispy, tasty, chips that go with any dip. It’s a little party trick I learned years ago and it never ceases to impress guests when they’re served warm, homemade pita chips.
The last step is the drizzle some good honey on top. The ideal honey to really elevate this dish is amber (not cloudy) and comes from a single source. If you can get local honey that’s even better.
Many honeys today are actually a mixture of products from all over the world. The same is true for many olive oils, too. Both of these product yields can vary a lot from year to year and combining various ones means there’s always some honey or olive oil at the grocery.
Baked blocks of feta served with honey are common restaurant fare in Greece, but you find it less so here in the US. That doesn’t mean you can’t get a bit of Greece at your table anyways. In Greece they use very good quality honey, which can be harder to find here if you don’t know what you’re looking for. So just get the best quality honey you can for this dip and you’ll have an amazing taste experience.
Fluffy Honey Feta Dip
20m prep time
10m cook time
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 8 oz crumbled feta, room temperature
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons Greek seasoning, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/4 cup good quality honey
- coarsely ground black pepper to taste
- 4 pita breads
- Combine cream cheese, feta, 4 tablespoons olive oil, garlic, and Greek seasoning in food processor. Pulse until fully combined and becoming fluffy.
- Preheat oven to 325˚F. Cut pitas into 4 wedges each. Brush with remaining olive oil and bake for 10 minutes or until lightly browned and crispy.
- Scoop dip into serving dish. Make a mound with a hollow in the center. Pour honey into hollow then sprinkle outer edges with more Greek seasoning and black pepper. Serve with pita wedges to dip in.
Recipe adapted from Books ‘n’ Cooks.