Lasagna is one of those meals that is a guaranteed crowd-pleaser every single time you make it. It’s perfect for potlucks, dropping a meal off for a loved one who needs it, or just your average family dinner, but it can take a bit of time to deal with the boiling of the noodles, the layering, and then finally the baking. But our Quick and Easy Skillet Lasagna? Well, that’s done in under thirty minutes and you don’t have to boil the noodles or even get out a baking dish! It works homemade lasagna into your busy weeknight schedule and it doesn’t sacrifice the flavor even a little bit.
This all comes together in one skillet, but it helps to use one with a tight-fitting lid. You start by browning some ground beef and onions…
… and then stirring in some marinara sauce and water. Once that comes to a boil, you break up your lasagna noodles and stir them into the liquid, cover the whole thing and let it simmer until the noodles are tender. The noodles cook right in the sauce, so they absorb some of the tomato flavor and you don’t even have to bring a separate pot of water to boil.
From there, you stir in some ricotta and sprinkle mozzarella over the top. (After all, what is a lasagna if it’s not indulgently cheesy?) You don’t need to stick it in the oven, just recover the skillet long enough for the residual heat to melt the cheese.
It’s a quick and dirty version of lasagna, but it has everything you could want from the traditionally baked dish – a hearty but zesty beefy marinara with tender noodles and plenty of ooey-gooey cheesiness. It’s still crowd-pleasing comfort food… it just happens to be incredibly quick!
Easy Skillet Lasagna
10m prep time
20m cook time
- 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 8 uncooked lasagna noodles, broken into pieces
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- To a large skillet with a tight-fitting lid, add ground beef over medium heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Add onions and garlic and cook until beef is no longer pink, about 6 minutes. Drain grease as needed.
- Stir in marinara and 1 1/2 cups water and raise heat to medium-high heat.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to low and add broken lasagna noodles, pushing down into sauce. Cover and let simmer 10 minutes.
- Remove lid and stir, scraping up any bits that have stuck to the bottom. If liquid has thickened too much, add another 1/2 cup water.
- Stir in ricotta cheese, then sprinkle mozzarella over the top. Cover again and let simmer until cheese has melted and noodles are tender.
- Let rest 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Mom's Dinner.