This beef stew is the real deal – seared meat, sautéed veggies, and our secret sauce, all roasting in a dutch oven!
Those windy, rainy evenings of autumn are upon us, and we have the perfect recipe to cozy up with when the chilly weather drops. This beef stew is the real deal – seared meat, sautéed veggies, and our secret sauce, all roasting in a dutch oven! Hearty vegetables really fill out this dish, but don’t forget to whip up a batch of our famous buttermilk biscuits.
While this might not be as convenient as our fix-it-and-forget-about-it beef stew, it’s well worth the effort! We combined savory beef, tender new potatoes, and a unique blend of flavors, including beer, paprika, sugar, and cinnamon. Trust us, this stew is what cold evenings were made for!
Dutch Oven Beef Stew
2 hrs 30 mins
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, cubed
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 oz beer, pale lager
- 3 1/2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 8 new potatoes, quartered
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- Heat oil in a large pot, or Dutch oven, and brown meat on all sides, set aside.
- Add onion to the pot, sautee for 3 minutes. Add garlic, cook for an additional minute. Add in beer, broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, sugar, salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir beef back into the pot, simmer until tender, about an hour and a half.
- Gently add vegetables and continue to simmer for about 45 minutes.
- Remove one cup of liquid, add flour to it and whisk. Pour back into pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer until thick. Serve up hot!
Recipe adapted from Indulgy.com.