The fresh taste of crudités is a simple way to offer healthy snacks or appetizers. The traditional formula is that the vegetables are cut into stalks and then served with a dipping sauce, like French onion or ranch. But, for these cucumber feta rolls the dip and the veggies are served together in one neat roll. And, they are so easy to make.
To start with you’ll need to cut some long strips of cucumber. I found that I liked the way leaving the skin on looked and it also made the cucumbers less slippery to work with.
First cut the cucumber ends off and then slice in half lengthwise. Then use a y-peeler to cut long strips. I experimented with cutting them with a sharp knife, but found that those strips simply weren’t thin enough to roll well. The size of the cucumber also affected how the strips came out, so use only cucumbers of the same sizes if you’re making a platter and want them to come out looking more uniform.
The creamy filling is made from feta cheese, Greek yogurt, sun dried tomatoes, and dill. I used a stick blender to make sure it was all well-combined. If you don’t have one then you can mash the feta cheese with the back of a fork.
The important part is to make sure that there aren’t too many large pieces of cheese as this can be a hinderance when it’s time to make the rolls.
Then put a little bit of the filling on one end of the each strip and then roll it up. I secured mine with cocktail toothpicks for a festive look.
These cucumber feta rolls are bright, creamy, and have a wonderful crunch. They’re also a great, healthy alternative to heavy appetizers that are perfect for potlucks and picnics, too.
Cucumber Feta Rolls
Makes 20-30 rolls
30m prep time
- 2 cucumbers
- 1 (6-oz) package crumbled feta
- 3 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 3 1/2 tablespoons finely diced sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- pinch black pepper
- Cut ends of cucumbers and cut cucumbers in half lengthwise. Slice thinly lengthwise using a y-peeler or mandoline until you have 10 or 15 strips from each cucumber. Pat dry and lay on fresh paper towel while you prepare the filling.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a medium bowl until well-blended. Lay cucumber strip flat. Place a small spoonful of the filling onto the strip, near (but not on) one end. Then roll up and secure with a toothpick.
- Repeat for remaining ingredients. Serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from Good Life Eats.