Are you looking for the same, great flavor of eggplant Parmesan without the empty calories from all the fried breading? Try this healthy spin and be amazed! Hollowed out eggplant stuffed with fresh veggies and topped with lots of cheese. We like to prep this dish the night before, so all we have to do the next day is pop it in the oven for 30 minutes…. Then we can dig into this perfectly ooey-gooey (thanks to the cheese), healthy meal!
Healthy Stuffed Eggplant
1 hour to prepare serves 4
- 2 large eggplants
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup white onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano, chopped
- 1 cup mozzarella, shredded
- 2 cups tomato sauce (homemade or store-bought)
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, washed and sliced
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Cut eggplant in half, and place each half cut side down on a foil-lined baking sheet. Rub eggplant with 1 tablespoon olive oil and bake for about 25 minutes until tender.
- Once cool, scoop out the cooked flesh of the eggplant, leaving about 1/2 inch of flesh inside each half. Set aside scooped out eggplant.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat and sauté onion and mushroom until softened. 6-7 minutes. Add tomato and cook for another 3 minutes, then add garlic and cook for 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Season with salt and pepper and oregano, then add scooped out eggplant to the skillet. Stir in tomato sauce and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stuff eggplant shells with tomato veggie mixture and top with mozzarella. Place in oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from Food.com