After a long day, it makes an unbeatable dinner that is oh-so-satisfying.
This comforting barley veggie stew is everything we want at the end of a cold and hectic workday. It’s warm, satisfying, delicious, and this soup is so easy to make, it practically cooks itself! We cook everything in one pot, including the barley, so the process is nice and simple.
Our stew is full of good-for-the-body veggies like carrots, sweet potatoes and kale, and as the soup simmers, the barley soaks up all of those yummy veggie flavors. We love thick, hearty stews like this barley veggie soup. After a long day, it makes an unbeatable dinner that is oh-so-satisfying.
Sweet Potato, Kale, And Barley Soup
Serves 8; 50 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 4-5 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, divided
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 large bay leaf
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 cups kale, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Warm olive oil in large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Sauté onions for 3 minutes, stirring often. Add sweet potatoes, carrots, bell pepper and garlic. Cook 4 to 5 minutes until just softened.
- Add 4 cups of vegetable broth, water, barley and Italian seasoning to stockpot. Drop in bay leaf and bring mixture to boil. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer 30 to 35 minutes, until barley is tender.
- Add frozen corn, kale and additional broth if needed. Cover and simmer 5 to 7 minutes, until corn is heated through and kale begins to wilt. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove bay leaf before serving.
Recipe adapted from Stacey Homemaker