Nothing says comfort food like sausage, cheese, and breadcrumbs.
A cassoulet is a stew made with beans and meat…slow cooked comfort food at it’s finest. We’ve taken the cassoulet idea and turned it into more of a casserole, with the same comforting results. A meaty, protein-packed cassoulet is one of our favorite solutions for a rich, satisfying dinner.
A traditional cassoulet takes a little more time and preparation, and as much as we love to fuss over a home-cooked meal, a busy weeknight isn’t the right time for that luxury. This shortcut version packs the same hearty flavor, and it takes less than an hour from start to finish to get it ready. We use canned beans and seasoned, quick-cooking Italian sausages so there’s no need to soak and marinate ahead of time, and it’s easy to throw it together on short notice. We think the homemade breadcrumbs make this dish extra special, and it only takes a minute to make them. It’s hard to believe that this beautiful, mouthwatering cassoulet is so easy!
Sausage and Bean Cassoulet
Serves 6; 45 minutes
- 4 sweet Italian sausage links
- 3 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 2 (15 oz) cans cannellini beans , drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided, plus extra for drizzling
- 2 - 3 slices of bread, chopped (preferably slightly stale)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped and divided
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced
- Preheat oven to 475°F.
- Warm 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat in a large sauté pan. Add sausages and brown on all sides. Transfer sausages to plate; slice to 1/4-inch pieces.
- Add bacon, onion, and garlic to pan. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté until onion is softened, about 2 minutes.
- Return sliced sausages to pan. Stir in drained tomatoes. Pour in vegetable broth and add 1 tablespoon parsley.
- Increase heat to medium, simmer 7-10 minutes.
- Combine 1 teaspoon garlic, Parmesan cheese, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon parsley and bread chunks in food processor. Pulse into crumbs.
- Transfer sausage mixture to shallow 2-quart baking dish. Top with seasoned breadcrumbs and sprinkle with diced butter. Bake 20 to 25 minutes until bubbly and breadcrumbs are golden.
- Optional: drizzle lightly with olive oil before serving.