The whole kitchen smells absolutely wonderful with this dish in the oven.
Our neighbors have a new baby, and we wanted to send over something warm and hearty to make their dinner routine easier. This cheesy cabbage and potato bake is one of our favorite dishes, and the family next door loved it!
She said her school-age girls, who both despise cabbage, asked for seconds, and she and her husband finished off the leftovers for lunch the day after. Everyone loves this rich, satisfying combination of savory bacon and hearty vegetables, smothered in melted cheese. Our neighbor couldn’t believe the recipe was so simple. She can’t wait to try it out in her own kitchen!
Cheesy Potato Skillet With Cabbage And Bacon
- 6 pieces sliced bacon
- 4 medium Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 head cabbage, chopped
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 2-quart baking dish, or use an ovenproof skillet.
- Brown bacon in skillet. Reserve 2 to 3 tablespoons drippings. Remove bacon and set aside.
- Sauté mushrooms in grease for 4 to 5 minutes until tender. Add onions and cook 2 minutes.
- Stir in cabbage and sauté for 5 minutes until just wilted. Season mixture with salt and pepper. Add broth and mustard. Mix in potato slices until all ingredients are combined.
- Crumble bacon slices and add to skillet. Transfer to baking dish if skillet isn't ovenproof. Cover and bake 40 minutes.
- Uncover, sprinkle with cheese, and return to oven until cheese is melted. Garnish with parsley before serving.
Recipe adapted from The Southern Lady Cooks