Our family wants us to make this weekend breakfast from now on!
Take a page from a Viennese cookbook and serve up your pancake breakfast or brunch with European flair. We’re obsessed with these tender bites of golden pancake, which features a delicate texture, a hint of lemon zest, rum-soaked raisins and the sweet dusting of powdered sugar. Enjoy the rich flavor and fluffy texture of these bite-sized pancakes just as they are, or pair them with a side of applesauce, plum sauce or fruit compote. Give your family the royal treatment by serving this delicately delicious dish also known as the Emperor’s Trifle.
Serves 4; 60 minutes
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup rum
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 2/3 cups milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 lemon, zested, optional
- powdered sugar, garnish
- Place raisins and rum in a small, glass bowl and microwave for 25 seconds. Let sit 20 minutes so raisins absorb some of the rum.
- In a large bowl or mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Beat in a pinch of salt.
- In a separate bowl, cream together egg yolks and sugar until thick and ribbony. Gradually beat in milk, flour and lemon zest.
- Fold in beaten egg whites, then let sit for 10 minutes.
- Melt butter in a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add batter and spread it around the pan, then sprinkle raisins on top.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Flip and continue cooking.
- Break up pancake mixture into bite-size pieces and cook until golden brown.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve hot.