Casseroles are a great way to get hearty food on the table quickly and with just a few ingredients.
It’s the season for hearty dishes, which means that we’re on a quest for easy and delicious sides to pair with our main courses. Our recipe for herbed potato and tomato casserole is just what we need to turn an easy weeknight dinner into a feast. It’s got the flavors of a Caprese salad, with tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil, but we add filling potatoes and extra seasonings to make this dish really satisfying.
The trick to making this casserole is to parboil the potatoes just short of being done. They will finish cooking in the oven without becoming mushy. Creamy potatoes and cheese topped with crunchy breadcrumbs is a great combination, while tomatoes add fresh color and taste. We know you’ll love our herbed potato and tomato casserole, and given how easy it is to make, it’s sure to become a favorite!
Herb Potato and Tomato Casserole
Serves 5; 45 minutes
- 2 pounds Russet potatoes, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 3 large tomatoes, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup Italian-style bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Grease a 5-quart baking dish.
- Parboil potatoes for 5 minutes until just underdone.
- Combine Parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, parsley, basil, thyme, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Layer potatoes, tomatoes and mozzarella in baking dish, overlapping pieces. Drizzle with olive oil and top with Parmesan and breadcrumb mixture.
- Cover with tin foil and bake 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 5-10 minutes more or until cheese is bubbly and top is golden brown.