When we’re looking for some flavorful Italian food that goes beyond pizza and pasta, we turn to a pot of soup that we all love; it’s a simple, savory dish that’s a meal unto itself. Our Italian vegetable soup is ready to eat in just one hour and is packed with amazing flavor. Zucchini, potatoes and carrots add texture and nutrition, while herbs and spices whisk you away to the Italian countryside. The best part is that the soup is inexpensive to make thanks to pantry and refrigerator staples. We guarantee you’ll love this hearty one-pot meal so much, you might decide to make it year round and not just during the colder winter months.
Italian Vegetable and Beef Soup
Serves 8-10 1 hour
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 medium-sized zucchini, diced
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes, with juices
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasonings
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Brown ground beef in large pot for 5 to 7 minutes over medium-high heat. Remove and drain on paper towel.
- Sauté onions and garlic in same pot. Return beef to pot, then stir in tomato paste.
- Add diced tomatoes, diced potatoes, chopped vegetables, broth, and Italian seasonings to pot and stir to combine.
- Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Cook until carrots and potatoes are fork tender. To serve, top with fresh Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Recipe adapted from Carlsbad Cravings