Eat all the pizza you want, without the guilt!
Love pizza, but not the fact that before you know it you’ve eaten four slices? Replace a traditional crust with eggplant, a delicious, low-carb alternative. Sliced eggplant is the perfect foundation for all of the saucy and cheesy deliciousness of a typical pizza, yet offers a healthy alternative that you don’t have to feel guilty about. They’re easy to customize, which makes them perfect for family dinners or casual get-togethers; they can be made with anything, so grab your favorite toppings and get cooking!
Serves 4-6; 35 minutes
- 1 large eggplant, ends removed, sliced into 12 rounds
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup low-fat mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 cups plum tomatoes, sliced
- fresh basil, garnish
- olive oil, as needed
- Preheat oven to 400º F and lightly grease 2 baking sheets with olive oil
- Spread eggplant slices out on baking sheets and season with sea salt. Place in oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from eggplant from oven. Spread a heaping tablespoon of tomato sauce onto each slice of eggplant, add sliced tomatoes, and basil, then sprinkle on mozzarella.
- Turn on broiler and cook pizzas for an additional 2-4 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove pizzas from the oven and add any toppings of your choice.
Recipe adapted from Kalyn's Kitchen