We love to share these party-perfect fried cheese balls with our family and friends, whether we’re cheering for our team on game day, ringing in the New Year or celebrating a birthday. These appetizers have a fun, poppable size that’s hard to resist, and the warm, melted cheese waiting inside takes finger food satisfaction to all-new levels.
We use a blend of four different kinds of cheese so these snacks are full of gooey comfort. No potatoes, breadcrumbs, or other fillers in these little babies, just pure, cheesy goodness, deep fried to crisp, golden perfection. We can’t imagine a get-together without a bowl or two of these fried cheese balls. It’s a cheese lover’s paradise…absolutely delicious!
Crispy and Golden Fried Cheese Balls
30 minutes active, plus 45 minutes inactive to prepare 20-24 cheese balls
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Gouda cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon milk
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, plus extra for coating
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- vegetable oil for frying
- Combine ricotta, cheddar, Gouda and Parmesan cheeses with eggs and milk in large bowl. Mix in 1/3 cup flour, baking powder, garlic powder and black pepper until all ingredients are well-incorporated. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate 30 to 45 minutes so mixture becomes firm and rolls easily.
- Warm 2 to 3 inches of vegetable oil in heavy frying pan over medium-high heat. Roll cheese mixture into small balls. Dredge in flour and shake off excess.
- Fry cheese balls in batches in a single layer until golden brown. Transfer to paper-towel-lined plate. Enjoy warm, with or without dipping sauce.
Recipe adapted from My Greek Dish