One bite of this chocolate treat will chase the cold weather blues away!
There’s something about chocolate that we just can’t get enough of. Whether it’s cake, cookies, ice cream or pie, when we want dessert, we usually want chocolate. The first time we tried this recipe for this decadent chocolate slice, we knew we’d found a winner. As if the chewy, cocoa-laden cake layer isn’t delicious enough, we top this treat with shaved dark chocolate for added flavor and texture.
It’s hard to wait the one whole hour before these are done, but it’s so worth it. We like to make up a batch over the weekend so that we can get our chocolate fix during the week, and they’re great served with a scoop of ice cream or a handful of fresh fruit. Try out our recipe for chocolate slices the next time a chocolate craving hits.
- 1 cup flour
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 3/4 cups cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ounces dark chocolate, shaved
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease a 9-inch by 13-inch dish and line with parchment paper.
- Mix together butter, cocoa, sugar, espresso powder, and salt in a large bowl. Microwave on high in 30-second bursts, and stir between 30 second increments until butter is melted.
- Whisk in eggs one at a time. Mix in vanilla and flour to form a batter.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake 45-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool slightly and sprinkle with shaved chocolate to serve.
Recipe adapted from Baking A Moment