Everything about this chicken dinner is a winner!
The only thing better than sitting down with the family for a satisfying Sunday night dinner is not spending all day in the kitchen preparing the hearty dish on the table. We love this creamy chicken and mushroom bake because it only takes about 15 minutes to get it in the oven and it tastes absolutely amazing. It’s rich, comforting and full of creamy, mushroomy goodness. We’ve made this with all types of mushrooms. We like baby portabellos best, but criminis and shiitakes are just as flavorful. This chicken bake is so good and so easy, it turns any evening into a special occasion.
Chicken With Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- 2 to 3 pounds chicken thighs (8 pieces), with skin on (recommended)
- 3 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 13-by-9-inch casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a large freezer bag. Add chicken pieces, and shake until well coated.
- Heat butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown chicken on both sides, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to casserole dish.
- Add onion to same skillet, reduce heat to medium, and sauté 2 to 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and sauté 2 minutes. Stir in sour cream and broth until heated through.
- Pour sour cream and mushroom sauce over chicken. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover casserole dish, and bake in preheated oven 40 to 45 minutes. Uncover, and bake 3 to 5 minutes to brown cheese. Serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from Laughing Spatula