Serve up a balanced meal with this super simple recipe.
We love meals that are simple yet tasty. Chicken is often a go-to meat in our house, but it does have a reputation for being bland. So too does rice, but we’ve found a way to add great flavor to both, and this chicken and rice pilaf is one of our favorite dishes! Rice gets added flavor from a bit of toasting in the frying pan, and also from the chicken broth. And the pop of color from the peas, broccoli and carrots makes everything look vibrant and fresh. So when we tried this chicken and rice recipe, we instantly fell in love.
Paired with Italian seasoning, lemon juice, and of course, chicken breast, this hearty meal was an instant classic for our hungry crew.
Our favorite part about this chicken and rice recipe is how adaptable it is. We often can change things up with different vegetables and herbs, or swap chicken for pork chops depending on what we’re in the mood for. Head to the kitchen to try out this oven bake for an easy staple the whole family will love!
Chicken And Rice Pilaf
Serves 4; 1 hour
- 4 medium boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 (12oz) package frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning, divided; 1 tablespoon for rice mixture, 1 tablespoon for chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided; 1/2 teaspoon for chicken, 1/2 teaspoon for rice mixture
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided; 1/2 teaspoon for chicken, 1/2 teaspoon for rice mixture
- 2 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat 9 x 13-inch casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Sauté vegetables and rice in olive oil over medium heat, stirring often, until vegetables are soft and rice begins to brown, 7-10 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper and lemon juice. Stir to combine.
- Add rice and vegetable mixture to baking dish.
- Heat chicken broth in the microwave until warm, 90 seconds. Pour over rice and vegetables.
- Place chicken breasts on top of rice mixture and season with sprinkle with salt, pepper and remaining Italian seasoning.
- Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 10 minutes or until rice is fully cooked. Fluff rice with fork and allow chicken to rest before serving.