The combination is so simple, and it tastes incredible!
We’re never at a loss for dinner ideas when there’s chicken in the refrigerator. This cheesy chicken and green pepper bake was a huge hit at our dinner table last night, and we threw it together in no time with just a few on-hand ingredients. We had a bell pepper that was near the end and this was a great way to make sure it didn’t go to waste. Chicken and rice, peppers and onions, and a few spice cabinet staples are all we need.
And of course, cheese. There’s plenty of warm, bubbly cheese, melted to golden perfection. The combination is so simple, and it tastes incredible! Everyone loved this Mexican-inspired casserole’s satisfying flavor. It’s a quick and easy way to turn basic ingredients like chicken and peppers into a delicious, mouthwatering meal the entire family will enjoy.
Cheesy Green Pepper and Chicken Skillet
Serves 6; 45 minutes
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup white rice, uncooked
- 2 cups Mexican blend cheese, shredded and divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Warm olive oil in large deep skillet over medium heat. Sauté chicken breast pieces until just cooked through. Transfer to plate and set aside.
- Sauté peppers and onions in remaining oil 3 to 5 minutes, until softened. Add garlic and cook 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in chicken broth and cream soup. Season with cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Bring to a low boil.
- Place cooked chicken pieces into prepared baking dish. Cover with sauce. Stir in rice and 1 cup of cheese. Cover with tight-fitting lid or aluminum foil.
- Bake in preheated oven 20 to 25 minutes, until rice is tender and most liquid is absorbed. Uncover. Top with remaining 1 cup of cheese. Bake 3 to 5 minutes, until cheese is melted.