We planned a special dinner last week, and we wanted everyone to have a say in planning the menu. It was a unanimous vote for deep dish biscuit pizza casserole, but we couldn’t agree on a dessert to satisfy everyone’s cravings. The youngest wanted brownies, while the oldest begged for caramel sundaes. A simple cheesecake earned our vote, so we started our search for a recipe that combined the three. We will never disagree on dessert again! We had the time so we whipped up our usual homemade brownie recipe. But for a shortcut, use a box of brownie mix, prepared according to package instructions.
Scratch made brownies are absolutely delicious and really don’t require too much extra effort, but if you’ve got a box of brownie mix in the pantry, by all means, use that as a shortcut! These decadent caramel cheesecake brownies became instant favorites. They’re moist, gooey, chocolaty, and swirled with creamy caramel cheesecake filling. They’re delicious by themselves, and even better served warm with a scoop of French vanilla. It’s love at first bite for chocolate and caramel lovers, cheesecake fans and brownie enthusiasts.
Caramel Cheesecake Swirl Brownies
Serves about 24 brownies; 45 minutes
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks), melted
- 1 cup milk or semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- 5 large eggs
- 2 1/3 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup caramel sauce, plus extra for serving if desired (optional: salted caramel sauce)
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 13-by-9-inch baking dish with parchment paper, leaving excess to assist with removal.
- Beat 4 eggs in large bowl with 2 cups sugar, melted butter and vanilla extract. Add flour, cocoa powder and baking powder, mixing to form a thick batter. Optional: fold in chocolate chips. Transfer batter to prepared baking dish.
- Beat remaining egg with cream cheese, sour cream, baking soda and 1/3 cup sugar. Pour cream cheese mixture over brownie batter.
- Generously drizzle caramel sauce over cheesecake layer. Use a knife or small spatula to swirl ingredients, creating a marbled appearance.
- Bake in preheated oven 25 to 30 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- Remove brownies from pan using excess paper as handles. Cut into squares and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Let the Baking Begin