Looking for a different spin on classic cornbread? Try this unique take that features savory bacon and creamy cheddar cheese. This moist, delectable bread is an easy-to-make and hearty side dish. You can make a batch of this bacon and cheddar cheese cornbread in the beginning of the week, and jazz up simple weeknight dinners such as chili, stew or baked beans.
This bread doesn’t stop at dinner, though. Add this side to a fresh green salad for a quick and easy lunch—or toast a piece with smeared honey butter and a side of eggs for a hearty breakfast.
Bacon Cheddar Cornbread
Serves 6-8; 45min
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 pieces bacon, chopped
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded or cubed
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, sage or chives
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan with butter or baking spray.
- Chop bacon into small pieces and fry it until crisp, then transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Whisk melted butter, sugar, milk and eggs together in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt.
- Gently stir dry flour mixture into the wet ingredients until combined and moistened, but not over-mixed.
- Fold in cheese, bacon crumbles, herbs and corn with a spatula until incorporated.
- Pour batter into greased pan and bake for 30 minutes, topping with extra cheese after 20 minutes. Bread is cooked when the middle is set and the edges are golden brown.
Recipe adapted from Eat Boutique