In my humble opinion, chocolate and peanut butter is a duo that has no equal, and the smooth sweet and salty combo is what makes both peanut butter balls and peanut butter cups so deliciously successful. While I sincerely love those two treats to no end, I have recently fallen in love with these particular Peanut Butter Balls which use crisped rice cereal to add a delicate crunch to the center. They’re the same classic flavor duo, but with a lot more texture to enjoy. And you know what else makes them super easy to love? They take just five ingredients and a microwave to make.
You could use your stovetop, but you certainly don’t need to. You just start by melting together some butter and peanut butter, so it’s easy to work with and then stirring in the crisped rice cereal and then the powdered sugar. It helps to work in that order, because the powdered sugar will seize things up a bit if it goes in first.
Roll the mixture into little bite-sized balls, chill them until they’re firm enough to hold together…
… and then dip them in melted chocolate.
A little sprinkle of cereal on the top sweetens the deal, but all that’s left to do is wait for the chocolate to set back up.
They’re a perfectly gift-able treat, but they’re simple enough that you can whip up a batch just to have a sweet something for yourself any time the mood strikes. The rice cereal takes no effort to add, but it certainly adds something special to these… they’re not quite your typical peanut butter ball, but that doesn’t mean they’re not super easy to make!
Crispy Peanut Butter Balls
Yield 24 balls
5m prep time
5m cook time
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3 cups crisped rice cereal
- Chocolate candy coating, as needed
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt the peanut butter and butter in microwave for 1 minute.
- Stir until smooth and microwave 20 seconds more, if needed.
- Add cereal, followed by powdered sugar and gently stir until fully combined.
- Using your hands, roll into 1-inch balls and place on prepared baking sheet. Freeze 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the candy coating according to package directions.
- Once balls are chilled, place each one on a fork and dip in chocolate until fully coated, letting excess chocolate run off. Place on baking sheet again chill until set. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Lil Luna.