If you’re a fan of really good chili, then you’ll definitely love this spin on the old classic.
Chili recipes are fun to share, fun to make, and even more fun to eat. And while we love a classic chili, we think this is a pretty darn good alternative to the usual routine. Made with chicken and white beans, this creamy white chicken chili is a little lighter than one made with ground beef, but not light on flavor. Everything about this is the complete opposite of what you’re used to, but offers the same satisfying experience. And if flavor isn’t incentive enough to get you on board, then knowing that a slow cooker does all the heavy lifting should do the trick!
When you think about it, this really isn’t all that different from a tomato-based chili recipe. All of the basic ingredients are there, just a bit lighter. And although we could easily let the slow cooker do the work on the chicken, making it tender enough to shred before serving, we like having a more solid bite of chicken, and cubing it before cooking is the solution. Cannellini beans offer a creaminess that you don’t get from kidney or black beans, and we love how well it complements the chicken. Cumin offers a nice depth and warmth without affecting the color of the chili, and the bite of mild green chili peppers gives that little kick to really step this whole recipe up a notch.
We like to add extra creaminess towards the end of the cooking process by adding a flour-milk mixture; as the mixture cooks down it will add a little thickness to the broth. Before serving, give everything a good stir, and if needed add some white pepper and maybe a pinch of salt. And who can serve chili without a side of cornbread? There’s plenty of time to whip up a batch of bread or muffins to accompany the chili. When you’re craving chili but want to try something a little different, we definitely recommend our white chicken chili as a super delicious meal that is sure to satisfy.
Creamy White Chicken Chili
Serves 8-10; 4 hours 15 minutes
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped into 1” cubes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 (15 oz) cans Cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (4 oz) can chopped mild green chilis
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Optional: slices of lime
- Coat slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Add diced chicken, beans, chili, garlic, onion, and cumin.
- Pour vegetable broth over the top. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours or on HIGH for 6-8.
- One hour prior to serving, whisk butter, flour and milk together and pour into slow cooker, stirring gently to incorporate. Place lid back on slow cooker to finish cooking time.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro before serving. Additional toppings: sour cream, Mexican cheese blend, green onions, side of lime.
Recipe adapted from Lovely Little Kitchen